PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Segregating passengers
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 04:00
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIS,

Commercially, no - I m sure airport operators would much rather have a single terminal space, where all could mingle, hence no need to repeat catering units in airisde / landside / Schengen or non space etc. Also, where is the best place to put shops, landside where everyone (families seeing someone off etc) can use them, or airside where they can be 'duty free' - again less of an issue in the US, as non-liqo(u)r/tobacco sales are only subject to a local sales tax which is much less than the UK 20% VAT, and most flights are domestic anyway.

However, unfortunately security will always take first priority, and it is very difficult to get security restrictions to be reversed once in place, 'just in case' one bad guy slips through.

Also, airports are used to having different zones, as most large airport have multiple terminals - few of which are linked by pre-cleared airside spaces anyway. If the footfall is big enough, retailers will pay the premium for multiple units.

My biggest gripe is with ATL, where I had to go through security, just for the privilege of ARRIVING into the terminal. Again, this comes down to layout - whilst this terminal is hardly pre-historic, it was designed pre-9/11, and the international concourse is at the end of the people mover. Once you disembark, you pass through the same space used by departing passengers - and whilst it might be inconvenient to go through this screening, it would cost a lot more to build a separate shuttle under the concourses for the relatively few international passengers who use that airport.