PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 23:34
Sroodplus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to PNG in the early 70's with only a latent sting from the Aviation Bug after a 10 shilling joy flight in a Bo at an airshow at Hoxton Park.

Towards the end of my stay I decided that I cant leave without experiencing a small adventure, and to see a little more of the country than just dry old Port Moresby. One Saturday morning one of you fellows took my (then) wife and I from POM up to Tapini. Just the 2 of us in a twinotter, what a magic trip. Up into the hills, along ridges and over valleys. I wish I had known about the Tapini ILS then. The AV bug began to bite a little harder. After landing and parking cross runway at the top of the hill, the aircraft was mobbed by a hoarde of would-be passengers.

We departed with a more than full load. The return trip was also very intersting, but more on the inside of the aircraft. The gaggle of people, their piles of carry-on baggage, the screaming, sqwarking trussed chooks in the aisle took a little away from the air adventure. Never mind, the AV bug was doing it's work.

Just before we left, we were invited to one of those PNG parties were huge, whole, BBQ coral trout were served. I chatted with a fellow who was an ATC at Moresby tower and he invted me up the tower the next day to see what he does.

That was it! The AV bug had done it's job and as soon as we were settled back home I started flying lessons with Mike Jones of Pioneer air. I was satisfied staying a PPL and for the last 10 years we have owned our own C182. I still travel to Mackay to see Mike every year for my IFR renewal.