PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to trial allocated seating
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 18:33
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easyflyer,
We did tell them last time we flew. We even took documentary evidence but we were told that as they could walk we were not entitled to help.
The main problem is crowds really upset them. It wasn't so bad out of STN, but coming back through DLM it was chaos. Even the speedy borders couldn't get through the gate because everyone was surging forward! Thank You for your reply.
That is wrong of them I can assure you. There is even a special assist code for this type of passenger. It isn't specific to the autistic but it certainly is included within that group.

In effect they are giving us a seat number for nothing, but in order for us to change it...well that's where they are going to rake in the extra money. In addition to my middle seat theory from a previous post, I wonder if the booking system will track peoples seat selection habbits and deliberately NOT give them that seat, or kind of seat (window for example) in order to get an extra bit of cash out of them...I'd like to think that won't happen, perhaps more of an FR thing....but I'd not be surprised.
I'm not sure whether a seat number will be issued immediately at booking. It maybe the case that seats are pre-allocated but the passengers find out at check in. This is the same vein as some charter operators such as TOM. Easyjet say they will endeavour to seat as many passengers who don't pre-select, together so I guess there will not be any intentional middle seat agenda. That said, there is a a roughly equal preference to aisle and window seats so if you are travelling alone then there maybe an increased chance of ending up there. This won't matter to a lot of people though, especially on the shorter flights.

Really? Why 'should' it have been included? From their first day of operations, they did not include it, along with many other things like worthless FFM programmes. EZY set their own parameters - just like any other commercial company in any other line of business. If you don't like their offer, then do not buy it!
Absolutely. As an employee I have one or two ideas of how they can improve things and what needs improving. However, they have managed to stick to their low cost values without being Ryanair. Primary airports and a huge diverse network. But you pay for what you get..... quite literally. You get your flight..... you pay for luggage if you want it, choose a seat/speedy boarding if you want to but you pay for it. Once onboard you can buy a newspaper, something to eat or drink and on some flights you pay for inflight entertainment. This works for Easyjet and the latest financial figures prove it.

Having it all included is nice, especially if you actually use it but ultimately price is king as we all know. Easyjet has pretty high customer satisfaction scores but there are still many who have never flown with us and who are pleasantly surprised. Many of those passengers openly admit to have been dreading the flight. The fact that people book a flight and expect a poor experience demonstrates the monetary value people place on flying and their thirst for cheap flights in general.