PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 18:07
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mm43
A problem exists in the AF447 stalled situation, i.e. a lack of TAS and faulty CAS, e.g. NCD.
At the start of the sequence, the speeds were only out from about 02:10:04 to 02:10:36 - just too long to prevent Alternate Law from latching - but interestingly, they come back well before the apex of the zoom climb is reached (The ISIS speeds come back just as the aircraft reaches the apex at about 02:11:15).

From that point the speed is reliable until the stall is so heavily established that stalled air begins to foul the pitot tubes, static ports and AoA vanes - which coincidentally is when the Stall Warning stops after sounding for almost a minute.

Exactly how the FCPC preconditioning will react with dud air data is the big unknown
The major THS movement happened while the FCPCs were getting good air data. The resolution of the graph is pretty lousy, but you can see the beginnings of THS movement following the elevators coming down when it was attempted both times - unfortunately neither attempt was held for long enough to make a difference.

So your question - - seems irrelevant, though I suspect what you were asking is, "If the SS was left to center, what would the THS eventually do?"
My educated guess (and it is a guess, so feel free to take or leave it as such) is that it would have gradually returned to neutral, following the elevator demand. Releasing the stick just after the apex may have been enough for the aircraft to recover itself (being docile in the stall according to the data we have), but within a minute, positive action was required to get them out of it. The nose drops below zero degrees *four times* after the air data goes out for the second (and final) time, but in every case it is hauled back up due to the pitch-up demands coming from the PF's sidestick.