PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eagle Airways "trooper" UK-Singapore 1961
Old 19th Nov 2011, 16:04
mayorofnewark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent thread

Been trying to get details on my flight to Singapore for a while. Departed from the West London Air Terminal (remember that?) in September 1965 and delivered to a British Eagle Britannia at (SFAIR) LHR for the long flog to Singapore with stops at Istanbul and Bombay, plus another stop in Malaysia but I'm not sure where. There had been a fire in Bombay airport, so no services at all.

Traveled with several other RN midshipmen to join our first ships. I sat with Martin (better known as Henry) Ford in what I remember as 2x2 seating (despite any seating plans of Brits that I can find being 3x3). Biggest joke at check-in was fellow Mid Jimmy Luard dressed in full winter kit including a great-coat, having used all his baggage allowance and not being quite sure what kit he might need close to the Equator.

I can remember arriving at Changi and thinking that it wasn't really that hot, then realising that it was about 2 in the morning.

Joy of joy, my ship had sailed and, together with a few other 19 yo Mids, I was given a bungalow in the Naval Base, an advance of pay and a very short self-taught course in dissolute behaviour. Regrettably terminated once higher authority realised what we were up to and set us to work!

My return from Singapore was in HMS Ark Royal (Sea Vixen, Scimitar, ASW Wessex, Whirlwind, Gannet COD and Gannet AEW).

Be grateful for any views on mid-60s Brit seating lay-out, stops in Malaysia, 'Henry' Ford, etc, as I'm writing a journal for my family.