PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Korean pilot faker on the run
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 14:23
Adrian Cronauer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day lassies and gents. Another scandal at Air Vietnam and the only solution management comes up with is -- BLAME THE FOREIGNER PILOT. Following some careful inquiries one finds that the young Korean was recruited by an agency and not directly by the local cronies. The agency checked his qualifications. As those qualification were a little less than Air VN man would have liked, a special dispensation offer --reduced salary and a bit of cash in the VN Air man pocket -- for a wee time was extended as is so often the modus operandi at Air VN.

This brings us to a fortnight or so ago. We have the Korean lad flying as the PNF & F/O with a local Vietnamese hero as the PF & Captain into the south korean village of Busan, Pusan or whatever they choose to call the spot.

The crosswind at the time ever so slightly exceeded 5 kts which caused the local hero (captain my something) to lose control of the little airplane and go around. Some time later -- On another attempt he brings the airplane to a stop with a bit of a thump as the crosswind subsided a knot or two.

What was most annoying to the passengers--and the likey cause of the complaints -- was the captains excessive circling of the city and close up view of the surrounding terrain ("...Whoop Whoop there it is, Whoop Whoop there is is…") without taking advantage of the young Korean's ability narrate the tour. Terrible CRM I say. No announcements and a native Korean speaker just sitting there next to him, with nothing better to do.

Disaster averted. Whatever shall we do now? Well boys, chin up, stiff upper lip I say, just blame the bloody foreigner. Rummage around in the foreigners employee file, discover that he doesn't have the company required experience and forget the rest.

Could this hypothesis be wrong? Perhaps. If so, the only remaining excuse is that the Korean lad gained his qualification and experience in the same manner as his VN local captain -- the University of Nepotism and the Parker Air 320.

One thing for certain. It was a circling approach which company dictates must be done by captain. Tower instructed him to go around due heading towards terrain. Forgot to reduce from TOGA, Gear and flap over-speed warnings from airplane heard in tower…in C Class and in Yahoo class of airplane. "Vina SuperPilot Hero Captain saves the day" the headlines read.

just my several pence worth.

Last edited by Adrian Cronauer; 19th Nov 2011 at 15:32.