PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to trial allocated seating
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 11:47
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the whole I welcome this move as I personally find allocated seating better. Although, having said that, as a regular EZY traveller on various routes of theirs I have never had a problem getting the seat I want. On the vast majority of flights my family use they have never had issues sitting next to one another either. I honestly can't see how this will stop the scrum as people have become accustomed to it on EZY and other LCCs and will still continue to ignore gate calls and try and barge to the front. Even when joe public is told to use the back steps they will still crowd around the front steps.

Jet2, Flybe, bmibaby and various holiday charter airlines all have allocated seats but you still see people crowding round the boarding gate and faffing about inside the plane, often ignoring their seat allocation and just sitting wherever they want anyway, only to be moved on when the rightful occupant turns up. Even when you hear the staff calling by rows they still stand around and try and come forward, holding everyone else up. I'm not saying this doesn't happen on full service carriers, but it is definitely something which comes hand in hand with the LCCs.

Passengers who choose not to select a seat will be allocated a seat which they will know in advance of travel. Our ambition is to try and sit people on the same booking together although we know that sometimes this may not be possible.
This bit sounds like they will pre-allocate you a seat at the time of booking and then if you want to select another one then you have to pay. Fair enough, but the sceptic in me thinks that there will be a lot of people issued with middle seats on an empty flight in the hope that they will not like that and pay to move one to the left or right.