PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A reason not to fly I'd never thought of before.
Old 19th Nov 2011, 10:36
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands smelling like fuel……...

Originally Posted by thing
Has anyone ever done a time study of that?

I worked out that anywhere less than two and a half hours drive away was quicker by car.
Yes Thing; interesting subject.
I´ve had this argument with the missus before, whenever I proudly talk about the amazing speeds developed by my Rotax powered 2 seater!
She´s always quick to point out that you need to get to the club, fuel the plane, perform a serious pre-flight inspection, and upon arrival you need to park it, lock it down and find transport to the final location.
(normally a hotel).

Now, with a million variables it is different for every PPRuNe user.

I, for instance; will have my plane all fueled up before a "longer" flight; please don´t include the time of going to the club the day before etc etc.

I can be at the club within half an hour, and only 1 plane can possibly block my plane….small hangar; so I could be in the air within the hour.
But my economic Diesel car will have been speeding for 1 hour towards my destination, and since the distances are not that large…………it will have to be on the other side of the country to really beat my car by plane.

The reason my new plane has extra long range tanks, is the fact that buying and carrying fuel to fill up my tiny 13 gallon tank at every destination did not help my missus´s experience of a day flying!

With regards to the hangar issue……..I´m at a small club where our mechanic prepares all that. Just let ´m know a few hours in advance, and if you don´t go early………you´ll probably find your plane waiting out on the ramp!

###Ultra Long Hauler###