PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CH47D Droop Stops Failure Procedures
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 10:00
talking horse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you know that the droop stop is not in before shutting down? RAF Chinooks have a droop stop shroud (a fibreglass cover) fitted over the centrifugal droop stop. It is there to prevent ice from preventing the droopstop from moving in on shutdown, and was an in-service modification towards the end of Chinook HC1 days (Mod 91 if memory serves! It was a requirement for flight in icing conditions.).

The incident referred to a Odiham with the 8 hours of ground running was triggered (I believe) when one of the groundcrew found the droopstop on the ground after start, and someone recognised it and its significance. This may have been before the days of the droopstop shroud modification.

The US one in Turkey probably didn't have shrouds fitted so the droopstop was visible. However, with the shroud in place, you can't see if the droopstop is in or out and a fire hose can't actually impact the offending item. So I suspect the first you might know of it is a big bang on shutdown!

As an aside, there was a similar event at MPA some years ago, although it was due to a blade root failure. I think the cause was water ingress to the material wrapped around the root of the blade which then froze. I saw the aircraft afterwards and most of the damage was to the upper edge of the forward fuselage, and I think the blade bounced off the fuselage and over the tunnel. ISTR the crew said that they then put the brake fully on, and the blades stopped in about 2 revolutions. Exciting stuff - the trip's not over til you're back in the crewroom!