PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glide descent leveling off technique
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 08:38
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During a glide descent it is possible that the speed would be less that cruise. Glide performance for PFLs / approaches usually means about 20kts slower than the cruise, somewhere around powered approach speed
GeeWhizz

Read his opening piece! He is not talking about the final approach phase of the flight or a forced landing where he aint going to level for long anyway or have any power to do that leveling! but a typical descent and leveling at ones chosen altitude.

Obviously when you are landing you will come back to your reference speed with flap, gear etc where you do that is questionable?

I know pilots who will trundle in from 6 miles out causing a massive traffic jam while they stick to their 70kts blind to conditions or wind shear

I know others who will fly faster speed and reduce to their reference speed within the last 200 to 500 feet.

I was never a supporter of the closed throttle glide approach anyway and never understood the benefits of such an approach! Infact there are many inherant dangers in such approaches.

But he is talking about a normal descent and level to a chosen altitude!
Other than turbulent air there is no reason to be below CS.
Sometimes I wonder if we concentrate to much on bits in training rather than a much broader appreciation of energy and drag management?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Nov 2011 at 09:09.