PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti British Airways
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2002, 11:01
Tiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this posting last night, and wanted to post but needed to think carefully first, so some maybe a copy of previous postings.
This is a cabin crew perspective.

I posted a similar question in SLF forum as the paxs were hammering BA for one reason or another, mainly the Cabin Crew and the odd ground staff. I pointed out that no other industry has such a forum and that every employer and company has the type of person they are aiming at. ie the bad ones. It was a case of don`t say "all" or "never" as in BA staff or use BA.

A number of SLF agreed with the posting and I think it enlighten their views, although they may not use BA they know that some of do care.

As an employer they are good. I`ve worked for British Rail (believe me they were a good employer) and a number of airlines one being British Midland some 11 years and another smaller airline. I also worked for a major and seen as a good Travel Agents. I don`t need to say now BM treated their staff, but after that period of time I could tell many a horrior story, as could a few others. I left BM because my promotion was hampered by a petty and poor management team at my base. Funny, I get another job promotion quick and I end up training SEP and Security in front of the CAA inspectors writting manuals etc. Moving on to BA I have no such problems with management.

I`m not saying BA is perfect but comparing what I have experience at a number of other places BA is a good employer. The training is good, and is hands on. Other airlines I`ve sat and written out pages of emergency PA`s and drills which had to be word perfect to pass,(and whether you really understand what you are writting about?) if when "that" day happens on board the a/c you`d have problems remembering half of the A4 pages you`d scribled. We are treated well. Keep your nose clean and they leave you alone. Then the pay. mmm. I`m new contract but taking all in all I still earn a not bad wage, its certainly more than anywhere else I`ve been.
What I do find odd, is how other employees of the airline have a pop at cabin crew, yes we have good T&C and pay isn`t too bad. I know that there are the old contracts out there and their pay is high, but taking a pop at all cabin crew on a basic of £9000 pa plus allowances and if you take LGW cc into account you are way off the mark. As for pilots I meet on a daily bases on starting I did wonder if they would arrive with white gloves and speak with plumb in their gob, how wrong I was. They are one of the most down to earth bunch ever. They don`t dislike cabin crew and always want us to join them on a nightstop, even bribing crews with I`ll buy the first round, come on guys you coming out to eat etc. My only complaint is if I hear "its only 10 minutes away!" we end up walking for half an hour and may or may not find this place.

BA has had cheap advertising shot at it in the past few months, some which I felt made the other airline look more childish and probably turn paxs away from them.

When BA recruits cabin crew the flood gates open at every airline in the UK, bmi haemorrhages cabin crew, with up to 80 cabin crew resigning one day. I believe Britannia lost half their LGW cabin crew (and senior crew to) in the last recruitment.
Think that says most things....but thats from the cabin crew point of view.

Last edited by Tiger; 7th Nov 2002 at 18:12.