PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glide descent leveling off technique
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 02:55
GeeWhizz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding power in a piston aeroplane will always result in a quick response; this much fuel/air = this much rpm = this amount of pull. I've sat and watched many jets spool up to a higher power 10 seconds in anticipation. Piston props don't need it; I can't speak for turboprops but at a guess it'd be somewhere in between.

eg. Aircraft at 70kts, you want to accel to 100kts. Select full power (eg. 2400RPM), as airspeed increases, at 95kts, decrease power to cruise at 100kts (eg. 2200RPM)
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this method of changing speeds. You clearly know approximate power settings that achieve certain speeds. Therefore my method is exactly that. Select the power value I expect to maintain the desired speed, allow the ASI to settle, readjust the power as required for accuracy.

I'm also not sure of the situation you might do this. Acelerating and decelerating between 70kts and 100kts in a C172 is a challenge in itself whilst flying straight and level. My experiences of this are instructors assessing my ability to control the aeroplane whether visually or by instruments - control and scan exercises.

Now I am sure there cannot be many variants of the C172 that will maintain 100kts at 2200rpm

Last edited by GeeWhizz; 19th Nov 2011 at 03:31.