PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2011, 22:16
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machinbird
mayonnaise stirring stick technique
That technique, while patently wrong, would not be lethal if center of the stirring movements were set around neutral or moved forward as ADIs have shown pitch increasing. Problem is that average input was heavy nose-up. That's not ham-fistedness. That's confusion.

Originally Posted by Rudderrudderrat
Recover at the stall warning by selecting TOGA thrust, maintain a pitch attitude for level flight and accelerate through VLS."

Unfortunately, AF 447 crew discovered that it doesn't work at FL 350.
They even did not try to set attitude for level flight. How could they discover it wasn't working?

Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
They probably had it demonstrated at 5,000 ft in their sim conversion course.
Big part of being pilot is to be able to tell the difference between 5000 ft and FL330. Consequent to that is to know how aeroplane behaves at different altitudes or at least which altitude dependent procedure to apply.

Originally Posted by HazelNuts39
I've read somewhere that full back side stick corresponds to a demand of 2.5 g. Suppose you are at 1.3 g with neutral side stick, then pull the stick to the back stop. What do you get?
G protection comes into play. 2.5 G slats retracted, 2G slats extended. As for how exactly G demand is related to stick position: me knows not. It felt linear and progressive in the area I have ever needed to use, which was certainly never above half travel, and that was good enough for me.

Originally Posted by HazelNuts39
"With STICK FREE in turbulence, small deviations do occur on the flight path but with a tendency of the A/C to regain a steady condition". Does that functionality only exist with stick free?
With stick in pitch neutral; yes. If you move it out of neutral you command flight path change so nose might be bobbing but overall it will move in the commanded direction.

Now you reminded me I have to further qualify my statement that Airbus is not particularly prone to aircraft-pilot coupling; it is valid in still air. In turbulence, tendency of the airplane to self-correct pitch and bank disturbances may (and too often does) lead to pilot induced oscillation. Statement you quoted is mighty correct and is followed by very good advice to avoid large interventions with stick.