PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there REALLY a shortage of LAE's?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2011, 18:21
greatwhitehunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There certainly is a shortage of capable, experienced b licenced engineers. And where I am the majority are up for retirement in 5 to 7 years.

I say competent because all too many of the people I see are not very competent. Sadly that goes in spades for B2 holders, (yes I'm a B2). With the shortage some very poor performers get a job and frankly the EASA licencing system does not help. Many of the new EASA B2 holders slavishly follow the FIM and seem incapable of independant thought. Couple this with inexperience and you do not get the level of safety I'd like to see. I don't know it all by a long chalk but I do find some of the people about now a worry.

OK politically incorrect and ' it was better in my day etc' but that's my considered view based on my everyday experiences. Anyway I should be out of it soon hopefully leaving a space for a new boy to fill.

For those of you considering it as a career, it takes effort but it's worth it. There is a drive to replace as many B licence holders with A licence holders so there will probably be fewer B positions in future. It's a worthwhile job deserving of more respect than it gets. I've had over 40 years of interest and some great fun interspersed with the odd moment of horror but I'll be glad to go. Too many idiot managers with no operational experience and who make piss poor decisions about nowadays.

Ah got that off my chest feel much better now