PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 18th Nov 2011, 18:13
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
Dan:

1. How many flight hours do you have in helicopters, or any aircraft that uses turboshaft or turboprop engines?

2. I find your insinuation that Bell considers compressor stalls "normal" to be a bit of word smithing of shady provenance. (Full disclosure: I do not work for Bell, never have, but I do have some time in Hueys and Jet Rangers.)

The fact is that any turbine engine can experience a compressor stall.

That one happens on a particular day cannot lead you to conclude much about an entire aircraft program. If, on the other hand, a particular engine, a particular airfcraft, or a particular combination of aircraft and engine have a history of compressor stalls, you'd want to look at the design to figure out why, and in what flight regime, the airflow gets disrupted. Is it an airframe, a system, an engine, or a combination issue?

There are a variety of reasons (improper vane scheduling being one) that turboprop and turboshaft engines will experience a compressor stall.

I had four compressor stalls during my time flying Naval aircaft, fixed and rotary wing. I also had NATOPS manuals that gave me good procedures for dealing with such an occurrence.

You appear to be making a mountain out of a molehill.