PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last on First off.
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2011, 17:46
astroboy55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday Titan,
Whilst I agree with the above, the unfortunate fact is that any work to rule is Unprotected Industrial Action. The key here is
Employees performing work in a manner different to how it is normally performed.
I agree, simply following your contract SHOULD NOT be classed as IA, but as for the last however many years everyone has showed up a few minutes early and done that little bit extra to get away on time etc, any change to those practices can constitute IA if the company want to play hardball. Our goodwill has set the precedent for 'how work is normally performed'. Now, we all know that if we showed up at briefing AT sign on, etc etc, every flight (particularly international out of SYD) would be running at least 20 or so mins behind schedule, costing a fortune. I don't believe showing up AT rather than BEFORE is work to rule, as this is just complying with duty limitations. Remember, a work to rule would involve plotting all of those 'restricted area' NOTAMS and other rubbish through India etc on maps, checking that the obstacles didn't infringe the takeoff splay, pulling the FCOM out and following step by step in every pre flight, pulling the FAM out and following it exactly for briefings etc etc.

The other key is
Employees adopting a practice, that restricts, limits or delays the performance of work
Working to rule would delay the performance of work.

I dont agree with it, but it would be a brave person who tried a work to rule campaign right now without protection. However, as pointed out,there are far more subtle ways one can get their message across without resorting to such tactics

Cheers