PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Rotorheads done the Tanzanian Air Law Exam?
Old 18th Nov 2011, 12:41
Hawkeye0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Helimutt!

So at last you get to know TCAA

The conversion is not only Air Law but also some African Meteorology, a type rating test and a check out flight. So much for the theory. In reality they don't have a type rating test for anything that is not a C-206, C-208 or not an airplane for that matter. If you're flying something that is rare (any type of helicopter) chances are they don't even have anyone to check you out on it either.
Therefore the usual process is: you take your exam (multiple choice, some 30 questions, ~one hour if I remember correctly), pass it, write the Director General a letter that states that there's no T/R test and that there's no one to check you out, they "pretend" to look into the regs, hope for a bribe and after a week you'll have your license

Important stuff to know:
- Dependancies of wavelenght and frequency
- Approx. ranges of wavelenght and frequencies (LF to UHF)
- Weather hazards around Kilimanjaro and Dar Es Salaam
- Time of both rain seasons
- Flight Planning (you won't even need an E-6b. Emphasis on emergency notification times)
- Documents to be carried aboard the aircraft (careful: it's multiple choice, but they forgot to give you any options to choose from! )

You can find all regs as PDF at Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority. Read up on the AIP/AIC: most of the test is taken from contents of these two publications.

Important detail: to obtain your license without any delay you have to prove your ICAO english proficiency if you don't have it already. Go to CATS at DAR airport, Terminal 1 (entrance 30m left of the terminal entrance, 1st floor, left door). Ask for the kind old gentleman who's doing the english language test. You'll have a 15 minute chat with him about all the world and his wife followed by a 20 minute listening comprehension test with multiple choice answers. He'll send a letter with results to TCAA the same day. Unlike in Europe (351€!) it's completely free, by the way

That's all I can remember out of my head right now.
You have PM.

Last edited by Hawkeye0001; 20th Nov 2011 at 20:15. Reason: Some test details