PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion for less than 5 figures?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2011, 22:43
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like wishful thinking, but my frame of reference was the UK. Under 10k would be impossible in the UK unless maybe you have 500hrs on a multicrew aircraft, but Even then I'm doubtful.

Let's have a look at possible costs
£999 - for CATS distance learning (least expensive that I know of)
£952 - CAA written exam fees (14 x £68)
£785 - flight test fee CPLME (expect add'l fee for SE rating)
£785 - flight test fee ME-IR
£238 - initial license issue (add another fee if adding SE)
£341 - initial class 1 medical
You're looking £4100 before you get to the MCC course (roughly £2000 more) and the flying bit (think 5-10 hrs for CPL, 10hrs in sim and 5hrs in plane for IR plus rental for flight tests), not to mention any travel and accommodation expenses incurred in the whole process.

Keep in mind that this is a UK specific example. You could take a look around southern Europe (Spain, Greece, Portugal) or Eastern Europe (Poland, Serbia etc). I'm not sure what the going rate is but maybe someone else can chime in with their experience. I know that the ME-IR conversion at Aerodynamics Malaga with all fees included for the holder of a CPL-ME is €5000, but this doesn't include the written ATPL exams and CPL conversion. And the Spanish authorities are painfully slow. I heard written exams for the ATPLs in Greece are €5, but I don't know if it's true.