PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Come Fly with Me (The Story of Pan Am)
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2011, 14:22
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have loved to have flown with PanAm in the days of crossing the Pacific in a Martin 130 or Boeing 314 flying boat back in the 1930s.

By the same token, I would have loved to have flown with Imperial Airways from UK to the Far East at the same time.

Sadly, my experience of PanAm was really based in the 1980s when I commuted frequently across the Pond (I was based in JFK for three years). They had three (747) flights per day between Heathrow and JFK and they were all equally awful as far as the cabin service was concerned.

They seemed to have cornered the market in old boilers who had perfected the art of doing the absolute minimum possible to look after passengers.

Why did I fly with them? My company had an ID75 agreement with them so it was the cheapest way to commute. In other words, it was cheap and you can put up with lots of things for seven hours if it is cheap.

Otherwise, Ryanair wouldn't have more than 200 aeroplanes and move more people per annum than BA!

Sadly, PanAm tried to dine out on their reputation for far too long and refused to wake up in time to realise that the world had changed.

It will also be interesting to see if this TV series picks up on the fact that the old system of the "clipper captain" was always right and his authority could not be questioned.

That worked fairly well when the aeroplanes had propellers and flew at much slower speeds. When they got 707s, this philosophy produced something akin to carnage. Look at the statistics.