PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A reason not to fly I'd never thought of before.
Old 17th Nov 2011, 13:18
kevmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A reason not to fly I'd never thought of before.

I thought I'd had them all. Weather conditions (obviously), aircraft gone tech, waterlogged runway (dear old Headcorn), instructor non-availability (no longer an issue - yay!) and even break-down on the way to the airfield.

So, here I am with a share in a well-maintained classic transport of delight, conditions were perfect and I turned up, let myself onto the field (I was the only one there) and unlocked the hangar. And there, in front of our Luscombe, is the resident Fairchild Argus. To be fair, he doesn't fly it much, and it is usually some way down the hangar. And I did single-handedly move an Auster out once, before getting our aircraft out. But an Argus? Hmmm. Game over for me. The opening is only just wide enough for the Argus and I didn't want to damage it, the hangar or me.

I later made a call and found out that there is a technique - to chock one wheel, pull the other forward, chock that one, pull the other forward, and so on. Or, I could have phoned someone who lives fairly close who would have given me a hand. So perhaps I could have gone after all. Just not today.