PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you find most annoying about our job???
Old 7th Nov 2002, 00:38
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seem to be more of us than crew posting in here at the moment... but, speaking as an SLF who tries to be jovial, compliant, thoughtful and attentive when part of the herd, there are just a *couple* of things that get my goat in the other direction. Such as, when boarding clutching a big bottle of water, being told "You do know we have water on this flight, sir?". Yes, and I know what'll happen if I want to have a glug every twenty minutes and keep pressing the magic button! Being told, with some ferocity, that "Mobile phones are FORBIDDEN during the flight!" when I'm using one of my other gadgets that just happens to look a bit phonish -- I write about this sort of thing, have the greatest respect for flight safety, know the rules and stick by them. But you wouldn't know that unless you asked what I was doing first...

On the other hand, that's about it on the whinge front for over a decade of reasonably regular flying. I couldn't even begin to count the stupid things I've perpetrated in that period, and I have so many abiding memories of good service (the parties in the back of Air France transatlantic flights before smoking was outlawed could be the stuff of legend. Only lucked onto one...).

I don't have the faintest idea how y'all manage it, especially long-haul.

Oh, one question for the book of SLF Etiquette. It's silly, but I always feel vaguely guilty when I ask for a Bloody Mary when the bar trolley is making its first trip down the aisle... it must be the most time-consuming drink to serve and there's so much to do. Should I hold off until later? But it's such a civilised way to get the constitution set up for the rigours of eating, watching movies, shifting uncomfortably in one's veal crate and regaling one's neighbour with the detailed safety history of the kind of a/c you're in (they go such a pretty shade of puce) that I fear I'll be unable to give it up even if I do know that it's not quite the done thing.

R