PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2011, 10:49
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timothy - I think you got out of bed the wrong side this morning. I dont see anyone suggesting the CAA arent working hard on these issues (well not in any of the recent posts or my posts in particular), albeit it has to be said we only have your assurance and the assurance of a few others on which to base that conclusion. If I were a cynic they could well be feeding you what they want and you could be gullible enough to believe it - not that I am seriously suggesting that is the case.

Frankly I get fed up with comments along the lines "dont worry, we are working hard in your best interests"! Let it not be forgotten that the job of any Regulator is to be transparent, to inform and to respect their committment to those they serve. However hard these people are working it is quite clear to me that they have not been transparent and the process has been to date poorly managed. If you wanted any more convincing evidence I cant imagine the Commission would have read EASA their fortune unless there was a reasonably compelling reason for doing so.

As to your frequent comments about people being bothered (or not) with regards to finding out what is taking place thing in his earlier post was spot on so far as I am concerned - and so I need concise replies from those that understand these things. I see no good reason why the average pilot should be bothered any more than the average taxpayer shoudl read through 75,000 pages of tax legislation that is published every year.

With regards the IMCr and the CAA as I said earlier their reply is certianly concise after nearly three years of this process - the CAA doesnt know. Well if they dont know, I guess no one knows. Worringly one suspects they do know, or have a jolly good idea - but they are not saying. That would be reasonable at the start of this process, it would be reasonable after a year of consultation, it might be reasonable after two years of consultation but it is no longer reasonable.

By any test the process is not a model of open governance.

As I said earlier I am an optomist; I hope and believe a reasonable outcome will be reached. I also believe there are some good people working to protect the interests of GA. I hope I am right.

With respect I think your post is out of touch with everything I read and in almost every discussion I have with other pilots which is a worry. What you and I think about eveyone joining AOPA and pooring over every utterance of EASA and CAA may all be very well, but it is not going to happen. People will not join AOPA because they are told they should, and they are not going to read the legislation when they have barely got enought time to deal with everything else life throws at them. Life just aint like that, unless you are part of the ranks of us sad lot that get some weird satisfaction from a good debate!

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 17th Nov 2011 at 11:02.