PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Cockpit? MK VI
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2011, 08:03
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Possibly a VNS-41?
Nothing possibly about it, sabredog. It's the VNS-41 microlight amphibian at the Hanoi Air Force Museum (with Uncle Ho's VIP Mi-4 in the background).

A friend of mine translated the sign for me:
AIRCRAFT VNS-41

On February 9, 2004, General Pham Van Tra Minister of Defense Ministry signed Decision no.175/QD-BQP to assign the VNAF to carry out a project
“ Build an amphibious microlight aircraft VNS-41”. This was a major project to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Vietnamese Military Forces.

Project Manager : Colonel Doctor Vo Ta Que, Director of Aircraft Factory A-41
Deputy Project Manager: Colonel Doctor Vo Tri Thang , Manager of Aircraft Engine Research Dept. – Air Force Technical Institute.

The amphibious microlight aircraft VNS-41 was designed and manufactured for the purpose of forestry patrol, evacuation and training.
On December 9, 2004, aircraft VNS-41 no. 401 successfully performed its first test flight at Tri An Lake in Dong Nai province.
In 2005, the Minstry of Defense tasked the Vietnamese Air Force to improve airplane No.401 and manufacture four more aircraft.

The VNS-41 aircraft were used for training by the 916th Air Force Regiment.

Technical and tactical features: Height : 2.535m , length: 6.980m, windspread: 11.650m.
Weight: 528 kg, max.take off weight: 780kg, Crew: 2 persons, Max. speed: 115km/h,
Max altitude: 3000m. Amphibious aircraft.
Wikipedia states that it was derived from the Russian Che-22 "Korvet" microlight, and also that a Che-22 was imported from the Philippines,
so it is not clear if this example was actually built in Vietnam or was built from a kit via the Philippines. A41 Factory VNS-41 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After a close look at it, I decided that this would be the second aircraft on my list of ones I would never want to fly - the other is the ASW-12 (for entirely different reasons).

sabredog, you have control.

Last edited by India Four Two; 17th Nov 2011 at 08:13.