PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2011, 23:51
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airtren
I read your "may" as your making a cautious assumption, which is always welcome at the outset. A closer perspective can clarify if the more distant perspective caution is justified.
You're right, but it's also a general statement of the need to be cautious about what is or is not "simple" in software without detailed knowledge. A fair few years in software development has taught me that it's very easy for someone to believe they know enough about the internals of a system to assess the impact of a change request, when in fact they don't. Dependencies can be very subtle. Often the CR will eventually (sometimes only after the test start failing or the user bug reports start landing) hit the desk of the person that does understand the impact and result in an expletive laden exclamation about how that change could obviously never be done without a major redesign...

Unless you've actually worked with and modified (not just read) the actual code, I would always advise that caution. Sometimes I might even follow that advice myself [I have, I admit, been on both sides of this issue...].

With the risk of repeating the considerations mentioned by AlphaZuluRomeo, with my own closer perspective and words:
Be interested if you know whether or not there would be a change required for getting AOA into the FCPC around the ADIRU in the event of ADIRU going "failed".

We have the STALL condition being announced loudly
Stall warning.

at High Altitude Stall Approach, or Stall is to bring the ND, which implies the strong recommendation of NO Manual Trimming NU during such conditions!
And therein lies the dillema - warning vs actual conditions. Maybe I didn't expalin well.

If the 'bus flight control is in a mode where it is confident that stall condition is anywhere near, it will take action to prevent it (over and above trim limits). Normal law.

If it has lost confidence (e.g. airdata fail) about its condition but has indication that it might be stalling, it will warn the real pilots, but not take overriding action. The pilots can then use actual intelligence (of which the machine has none) to assess the warning and the condition of the a/c and take action. Worth looking at Perpignan report for another example of the difference (dual aoa failure, outlier aoa not trusted for protection but used for warning).

In this case, 447, the warning was actually right, and the pilots assessment fatally wrong.

Change it so the FCC will act and "protect" in the warning scenario based on known-bad data, then you might save 447. At the same time, you risk the warning being wrong (due to bad data), the pilot assessment and actions being correct, and the a/c "protecting" them into the ground...

I think the risks either way are going to be very very difficult to quantify which is why this is a tough call.