PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview Questions from Hell
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2011, 19:39
frontlefthamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Captain's initial interview was conducted for us by a Flight Safety instructor. He asked the guy, "Okay, you're on about a one mile final to 30L at Minneapolis, runway in sight, airplane's properly configured, everything looks good and your FO says emphatically "Go around!". What do you do.

His response was:
TO/GA
Set maximum continuous thrust
Call for flaps 20
Maintain Vref Flaps 39 + 5 knots
Positive rate, gear up
Call the miss
Checklist please.

And then he remarked, "I have a strong preference for figuring out what's going on while moving away from the ground rather than toward it.

I liked that answer
Whilst I appreciate the rather blunt point being made, it is very, very, wrong... Once you have the small aluminium death tube pointing at the ground, where it may safely be re-united with Mother Earth, you need some very good reason to prolong your aviation experience... Yes, there are situations in which a go-around is correct, but I have always believed that aircraft properly belong on the ground... That's where nature takes them!

And how does the above sit with the many operators who prohibit reject calls from the FO? The pax have paid for two professional pilots, they know that one is more experienced than the other, but on takeoff only one gets to make a crucial decision... That's not fulfilling the public expectation, regardless if any other ponderings...