PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills test advice
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2011, 10:31
Whiskey Kilo Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIAA and other stuff...

Hi Aerofoil1,

Good luck with your skills test, your instructor wouldn’t have put you forward for it unless confident that you will pass.

As you will recall from that exciting subject Air Law, the AIAA* is a sort of warning, rather than a control zone that requires a clearance. If available, getting a Basic or Traffic service from Shawbury LARS would let you know what is going on in the area, as well as potential help if you became uncertain of your position. I suspect that any Examiner will counter negative brownie points for getting lost with positive ones for getting help to relocate yourself.

I’ve not flown much in that area, but if I’m going somewhere new with ‘interesting’ topography I might have a look at it on the Google Earth / Satellite View / whatever 3D representation. Some times a possible visual reference that looks good on a map is hidden behind a hill. You can ‘fly’ the route on the PC so have a feel for the big bits that might get in the way. Usual caveat, the representation is simplified and some clown may have built a wind farm on top of a hill since the Google map was made…

All the best for Sunday. At present the synoptic chart is showing the remnants of a front dissipating over that area on a lightish southerly breeze.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

*Areas of Intense Aerial Activity (AIAA)
Areas of Intense Aerial Activity (AIAA) are areas situated in Class G airspace below FL195 and have been denoted in UK military and civilian Aeronautical Information Publications (AIPs) and act as a signpost on aeronautical charts. These areas have no formal reserved status and afford the aircraft operating within the published area no additional protection. These areas are listed as airspace within which the intensity, type of activity and potential interaction of civil and/or military flying is exceptionally high or where aircraft, either signally or in combination with others, regularly participate in unusual manoeuvres.