PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for an up and comer
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2011, 05:28
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you can do any degree. But if you do a degree in indigenous basket-weaving, I guess you're not really interested in aviation are you? The two pursuits are not usually compatible. Alternatively, if you do a PhD in political science, I would also say that you're not really interested in an applied career as an aerial bus driver. You could prove me wrong of course, but few people combine interests in such divergent areas.

So what interests you? What course at university is so interesting that you'd be willing to study it in preference to partying with all your mates on Friday night? Then leverage the degree to pursue your other interest of aviation.

Does physics interest you? At all? If so, it is helpful. For example, the simplest (accurate) answer to
How do I manoeuvre an aircraft?
is
By tilting the lift vector.
Without physics you won't even understand what I'm talking about. So physics is helpful. Some people become pilots despite being physics-free zones, but they invariably have strengths in other areas to compensate for this (mild) weakness. I encourage you to develop in all your weak areas if it's possible.