PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 15th Nov 2011, 20:52
Lonewolf_50

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts
John/SAS/Sans/Jack:

I took a look through a 1744 page (WTF??) V-22 NATOPS manual.
Not sure if it is current.

I will confess that the illustration entitled
Figure 16-36. HVR CPLD Regions of Potential AFCS Directional Axis Saturation
mostly made me dizzy.

Methinks they are using words too large for the garden variety helicopter pilot ...

My takeaway ...

1. H-V diagrams are where you'd expect them, in performance section (in the back, hashed pages).

2. Single Engine failure discussion fits John's remarks: H-V boundary represents the envelope of height-above-ground and forward speed that result in safe Single Engine landing. Max vertical speed assumptions are 6 or 12 fps for high and low altitude charts respectively. [/QUOTE]
a. Messing about in the charts for a bit, at 50k GW you'd need to be a few hundred feet up to get a landing in the envelope ... may depend on the headwind you have that day.

3. If you lose both engines -- at 3000 feet, looks like you'd better have at least 100 kts. At 1500 feet AGL, at least 130 knots. This is to stay outside "AVOID" part of the H-V for dual engine failure.

I expect most flights have well in excess of that, at speeds V-22 flies.

4. Summarized from the EP section:

Auto's in the Osprey (say that three times fast) are not for the faint of heart!

For an auto, it looks like you expect a 4-5000 fpm descent at ~ 120 knots, flare at 150 feet AGL, cushion landing.
There's a thrilling ride.
IIRC, that's twice the RoD for a Seahawk auto, if not a bit more than twice.

b. Single engine failure in a hover - hmmmm- looks like the prospects of a single engine hover are dubious. Unless you are in a high hover with some wind in your face, it looks like you are committed to putting the bird on the ground as best you can. Scooping out ... not for the faint of heart.

My dos centavos

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 15th Nov 2011 at 21:07.