PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GIBRALTAR
Thread: GIBRALTAR
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 20:03
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be quite a busy airport at times All good news for GIB.
Gib as a town is in real trouble.

Tourism -- especially cruise liners -- are one mainstay, then the offshore status for investments and tax. I spend a lot of time in Gib and know many locals quite well. The cruise passengers are just not spending; the ones who disembark just do the rock and the prepaid stuff. Alcohol and tobacco are VERY cheap and so is bunkering oil for the liners but Main Street is far dearer than any UK (or most EU) high streets without the benefit of a guarantee you can use -- nip back to Gib with your faulty flat screen?

The offshore financial status has limited shelf life -- all kinds of tax avoidance (yes, I mean avoidance, not evasion) are being targeted. There has been a lot of finishing of luxury apartment construction work, but it's coming to an end with just a few odds and ends, relatively speaking.

As for yachting, the new Alcaidesa Marina across the runway in La Linea (Spain) is huge, empty and well built....some access issues but Gib cannot compete now, having sacrificed the yachting status to Spain years ago. Yachts can no longer anchor anywhere in Gib waters not even north of the runway. Marina Bay and Queensway Quay marinas have so much swell they are not safe -- witness all the broken chains, and springs

This story flies in the face of the magnificent new terminal (yes, it's really nice) and new routes being opened. I can't explain that. But I feel sorry for Gibraltarians who are feeling sorry for themselves...