PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to get there as a student
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 18:47
PPRuNeUser0180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you thought about getting your gliders license?

From what I've heard it's a cost-effective way to learn to fly, but it's also a great tool for networking (one of the most important things in aviation).
It will definitely cure a bit of your addiction (in the sense you won't be counting down till your first flight as it will drive you mad!) and over the whole budget you will definitely earn the money back on the first hours for your PPL !

With your a&p license in your hand , why not look for a weekend/vacation job in avation? Why not try a small company that services cessna's and the likes, that way when you get a modular CPL there will be chances opening up around the world with experience as pilot and mechanic 'on type' ?
That is if you are open to things like bush flying, or would you rather hope for a spot doing 'bus driving'?

About the FAA license, I think it depends what type of flying you are open to:
If you want to jump straight into a jet aircraft or are happy to live a few years on a minimum wage in Africa (trying to pay for your flight school)...
A JAA license can be converted easily to FAA, the other way around is going be costly, will take time and not being eligible for a job in Europe means all your networking in the world won't be able to help you!

In your case starting to work as an aviation engineer/mechanic while doing a modular CPL/IR in Belgium makes a lot more sense than going to the US and blowing all your money in a year's time (at the same expenses eventually if you add up the travel and accomodation expenses etc).
At least that's what I have in mind, but there are many routes to Rome (although the one heading South will be a lot easier than setting of North from here...)

Kind regards,
Koen