PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astir G102 CS
Thread: Astir G102 CS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 18:27
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wing root dolly? In the trailer, yes. Otherwise, pure luxury!

An Astir CS77 is the first single seater glider in our club, and performs this job well.

Three reasonably fit people can rig the Astir, two can do it with a wing trestle. If you fly from grass, its a good glider in which to get used to retractable wheel, as a wheel-up landing is usually no more expensive than drinks all round in the clubhouse.

Flyingwise, the roll is heavy and slow, and you don't feel small thermals as you might with something lighter. Even so, I've had lots of good flights in marginal conditions.

As others have said, the fuselage frame is the main part to have checked. Issues we have had with ours are the rudder pedal adjuster cable not getting enough travel to allow the pedals to move and the elevator pushrod in the fin belling out where the clevis goes in the end.

A positive point is that there are loads of Astir parts around and if you should break a wing or other significant part you should be able to find a spare one. When we had to get our wing repaired, the repairer said he had three spare wings. Because of the frame issue, good fuselages maybe more of a rarity though.

I'm a tad over six feet tall and not exactly slim, and I can fit comfortably in the Astir. Do snuggle down into the seat and give yourself as much headroom as possible before doing up your straps, otherwise you can easily find your head hitting the canopy on a bumpy landing.

Last edited by Mechta; 15th Nov 2011 at 19:09.