PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Licencing
Thread: EASA Licencing
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 13:18
jollyrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

I'm surprised that this hasn't been discussed in depth on here already or on other forums, considering that the forthcoming changes affect us all.

Nothing is finalised yet, but current indications from EASA are somewhat draconian. It seems likely that we're all going to step down one licence level on an interim basis, with a requirement for re-test under EASA regulations to recover the equivalent of original licence held. So, a PPL holder will become an NPPL, a CPL becomes a PPL, etc. When you take the test, you get your old licence back.

The medical changes are equally fierce. The Class 2 & NPPL medicals are to be abandoned, with all pilots moving to Class 1 testing. This will affect a lot of people, I'm sure.

What I find particularly irritating is the EASA flight plan requirement. All private flights will require two hours notice and an AFPEX submitted flight plan. Best apply for an account now, there seems to be an ever increasing backlog of account applications and it's taking three months or more to get on the system.

I'm sure there's more to come. There's some really heavy maintenance stuff, which I'm sure a maintenance expert will be along shortly to explain.