PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys:
Thread: Bomber Boys:
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 11:59
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FZ, many years ago at a dining in night a GAF Transall returned to Waddo as he could not find any open airfield in Europe and he trusted the Waddo controllers. We were Red at the time and they tried to get him to go elsewhere.

Anyway they then came to the drinks afterwards in No 1s, white shirts and possibly even bow ties. OC Ops, who had no medals as far as I can recall, stormed out and would not stay in the mess when they were there.

A few years after that on a campsite in France there was a German couple. He had a very bad limp. My wife said Hello Hello by was of introduction and eventually asked about the limp.

"Ach, it was the war you know. He got it in ze blitz. What does your husband do?"

Mrs PN, like a flash "Oh, he is just a civil servant." Guaranteed to kill any further questions.

OTOH, some years later at the BoB Cocktail Party PMC spies German navigator exchange officer and apologies along the lines of embarassment and perhaps he should not have been expected to attend.

"Not at all", he said, "without us you would not have had an excuse for a party."