PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys:
Thread: Bomber Boys:
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 09:29
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
What was the opinion among the post-war 'heavy' crews, such as your own distinguished squadron when you were flying? Or is this all a latter-day, 'benefit of hindsight' push for a specific medal?
Certainly when I first joined there were plenty of WW2 aircrew still around - we had a venerable AEO on 214 up to 1975 who sported the ACE star among his other medals. I dont ever recall any conversations about this subject at the time, I am sure this is something that has come to the fore in more recent times.

Certainly when I was dealing in militaria, including medals, I became very aware of a growing tendency for people wanting some tangible recognition of their service, hence the proliferation of unofficial medals now commonly seen, such as the Normandy Veterans Medal, The National Service Medal etc. One which was succesfully campaigned for was the Pole Star emblem which was recently authorised to be worn on the Atlantic Star ribbon by those who took part in the Arctic Convoys. Perhaps a similar thing could be argued for Bomber Command, but it's really getting rather late, I'd have thought. In any case a bomb symbol might not be quite the thing!