PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Freezes Foreign Pilot Hires..CONFIRMED...
Old 15th Nov 2011, 09:19
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ReverseFlight,

Agreed that the Indos are losing a valuable leg-up to their atrocious safety standard, & that us mercenaries are losing a few opportunities. . . But !
I had a colleague contracting there last year, & there is nothing, really nothing ,good to say about that gig.
The agency cheated him, the company failed to respect the conditions of the contract,which were, in any case, far from exceptional.The commute to&from the airport was long & usually late, conducted over 2, even 3 , hrs in horrendous pollution surrounded by homicidal fellow commuters. The worst duties were always assigned to expats,earliest starts/longest duty/most sectors/ least block time / worst destinations. The first duty after coming back, jet-lagged, from the meagre time off was as early as possible. Whilst there the work pattern was 6 on 1 off ad-infinitum ( & that day off was "just" that with the latest finish possible preceding it , followed by the earliest start possible.)
The time off / rotation was quite inhuman. SOP's. .non existent, CRM. . . non existent. Flights were conducted routinely through TS/CB AND you had to sometimes position sitting in the back being flown by locals (that would have clinched the deal for me ! ) It was perfectly normal to land & park with no paint on the radome. Some approach/cloud break procedures to local destinations were "challenging". Health issues (some serious) with even more serious issues if you did get sick.
So, "no win situation", nope, not really.
As they say, be careful what you wish for, I wouldn't lament this "opportunity" being withdrawn, & Lion Air, bearing in mind their safety record looks similarly worth a miss.
All forms of transport , marine, road, rail & air seem to carry a disproportionate risk in this country, best avoided by a wide margin if you can.