PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 ditched off Guernsey
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2011, 07:35
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure speculation on my part for academic debate and not therefore specific to this accident if an aircraft suffers complete electrical failure over the sea and has no hand held gps or radio i guess some will struggle to navigate. Flying a compass course, watch and map are pretty much your options. Fuel allowing we would make for land and depending on how good we thought we were a specific destination and evetually use the coast as a point of reference. Unused skills suffer over time and how good a job most of us could do is another debate. Would we expect to find one of the cis from 40 miles away, or would we aim to "bump" into france or england? Visibility might be very poor.

I think on the whole nearly evetyone would give it a go realising land any land is better than the sea and with enough fuel would make landfall but i bet many would be a few miles out .

I recall an old friend recounting war time tales of delivering aircraft to the azores and other far flung islands coasting out with enough fuel to get there with a small reserve to search for the islands as necessary but not enough to get back. With map, pencil and often poor met forecasts it left me thinking it must have kept ones attention. Did they have df - well thinking about it i guess they did but i never asked the question - it was a good yarn though.