PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 20:06
Lonewolf_50

Received 320 Likes on 204 Posts
Dozy, the algorithm bug that has been discussed at some length is why, below 60 kts, stall warning is curtailed even if one is stalled and weight is off the main mounts and main mounts are retracted and stowed.

That would be an algorithm bug raised in this incident.

Not sure what else, other than the algorithm used in the AF training and currency policy, given what appears to be not one but two instrument scans that were behind the problem from early on in the problem. (Refer back to PJ2's varoius posts on how this ought to have played out if you like).

There also appears to be evidence of a CRM regime that leaves me scratching my head, which may also be an organizational algorithm/decision tree sequence that could use some tweaking.

Insofar as software algorithms ... the one cited in re SW makes no sense to me.

For Old Carthusian:
"Old Carthusian may now realize that instruments don’t necessarily tell what the flight control inputs are"
Instruments do precisely that because that is what they are designed to do.
With respect, not quite. *

Your instruments reflect the outcomes of flight control (primary and secondary), power, configuration, and environmental effects on the aircraft.

While this is mostly a reflection of flight control input (particularly in a constant power scenario) your instruments don't do what you say they do.

I've seen your later retraction, but would like to point out (for pilots it's obvious) to non pilot participants the issue of power/attitude/configuration ...
which is what the pitch and power chorus have been on about since June 01 2009 ...
and which is where some fundamental flying basics seem to have been forgotten in one particular cockpit.

Why?

I sure hope BEA comes up with a good answer.

* = FWIW, I first got my first instrument rating in 1982. That doesn't matter at this point. Instrument scans and performance on the controls tend to atrophy when not used with a certain frequeny. I'd as likely as not kill all souls on board if, this afternoon, I was forced to fly to mins in dodgy weather on instruments with crosswind limits at the edge ... unless I remembered to wave off when the approach got too hard to handle ... waveoff is Navy speak for "go around" of course.

Rust never sleeps, but I hear it can kill.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 14th Nov 2011 at 20:26.