PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys:
Thread: Bomber Boys:
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:52
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Take That
You're quite correct about the escape hatch located under the Bomb Aimer's position. However, I understand it was relatively small, especially for a crew member togged up with flying gear, mae west and parachute. It was also still a struggle for the Nav and Wireless Operator to get right the nose of the aircraft as I understand their crew positions were located in a relatively central position of the fuselage, compared to the Halifax.
When looking at an escape hatch with modern eye we forget that most aircrew were in theor 20s and considerably smaller less well nourished than we are today.

When I was in the nose, ahead of the escape hatch I can assure you I had no fear of getting stuck, quite the reverse.

The navigator was not too badly placed. His canopy on top of the fuselage just behind his seat. All he had to do (if that was not enough) was to squirrel himself partly under the pilot's seat and the gap under the instrument panel.

The radio operator was not as well place IIRC he had a spar to climb over as well unless he used the upper escape hatch (if my memory hasn't failed me).