PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training the Trainers (TtT) in the Commercial Twin Turbine World
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:25
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a part time instructor with FSI.
It was on planks but the game doesn't change.

We were told from day one !

You're there to teach the candidate/trainee to fly the sim to the required level of proficiency as appropriate to their relevant authority.

‘You’re there to maintain our standard, not create your own!

Do not introduce the ‘I think' element into the sessions. You're not paid to 'think' you're paid to teach what you know! Don't editorialize!

We will publish safety bulletins and amendments as and when fleet incidents occur.

Don’t create a new standard or procedure based on what you’ve heard.Wait until the safety bulletin and amended procedure comes out

So I don't see how greater experience helps much in sim training?
How can you apply it in a practical way? and still follow the approved procedures...

The types you're referring to are mostly employed on offshore and SAR work, where more standardization is the sought after ideal. Not one sim guy telling you one thing based on his extensive background and another telling you something else from his extensive background. The guys you're training are not rookies (PIC's) and when you start to give advise based on your experience, it often becomes a passive-aggressive pissing contest between you and the PIC you're trying to teach/check on a specific airframe, that's all. You're teaching systems and procedures. Hopefully in a LOFT scenario.

You as a trainer, along with other trainers in whatever organization you're with, should all be on the same page. And that page should be approved. Not based on what happened years ago in a different airframe.

So this, combined with the ever developing technology, makes me personally prefer to learn a complex type at the hands of a ‘Youngster’ who grew up with high technology. And frankly I don't care if he came from a twinstar.
If he's been well trained and can explain the technology to me, then he/she meets the mission requirement.

He's not there to talk you through a real radar approach in bad wx. He's there to make sure you can do it in the sim, with simulated emergencies and to confirm that your general flying is up to the required standard.
That you handle all the emergencies outlined for that go round of sim training. That's it.

It's only a part of the whole training package. An important part for sure but it will remain the domain of the guy trying to stay home to save a marriage (), The retiree and those with medical issues. Also a few guys who are hoping it'll lead to something better!

I agree fully that more training should be given, but anyone with the ability and perhaps a natural teacher would be a better candidate than a more experienced pilot who might not be sim instructor material..

My 2 cents…