PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 19:21
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not pulling anything, I assure you.

Whether you can see what your colleague is doing or not, the decision to take control is an important one, and whether to do so or not is something that you have to think through, even if it doesn't take long based on experience to make that decision.

(You know this - I don't need to say it. Or are you simply picking holes in what I'm saying because I've annoyed you for not sticking to talking about software?)

When we were discussing things earlier, we were talking about the AF447 accident sequence as we know it to have occurred, and I was of the opinion that the PNF had a better handle on the aircraft's situation and as such, should have felt empowered to take control.

What I'm discussing with Organfreak (like me, not a professional pilot) is the consequences of taking control and that - in general - it should not be a decision taken lightly and should certainly not be rushed into if you see the control column in a place you don't want it. Even if you decide to take control quickly, the procedure must be followed and the decision must be well-made. If I've understood him right, he thought that taking the wheel as soon as it is seen to be out of position was the right thing to do, with which I respectfully disagree.

@Organfreak - very mature...

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 14th Nov 2011 at 19:49.