PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2002, 14:47
wes_wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Airbus posts no speed limit other than the normal gear door limits (270 knots) and says nothing about slowing down to apply rudder. The manual says the rudder load limiter will protect us in its description of the rudder load limiter."

Wino

Thanks for the above. That is exactly what I expected, and while there was some back and forth comment, I am surprised that AA or the Pilots Assn. did not really hold Capt. Jacob’s feet
to the fire during his testimony. How can he infer fault with rudder movement when their own procedure call for similar actions? Is one to believe that on a Bus slide slip and yaw is acceptable and safe when wrestling with a gear problem, but taboo if used to aid in arresting an upset condition involving roll. Where and how do you draw the line. AA seemed to be saying that their SIM training suggested active rudder use due to the degree of roll airman are put into, 90 degrees. I never did understand why and where AirBus found fault with this procedure, other than their position that the SIM did not accurately reflect real world conditions at that AOA.