PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basing Bid
Thread: Basing Bid
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 14:16
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to assume there will (once again) be no basing bid closing on 31st December?
Really? You need to ask this? It is the equivalent of asking the Titanic crew what they are serving for dinner as the life boats are filling.

Bases are done, son! The only reason they haven't come out and said it is that they are still promising it to naive new-hire cadets who manage enough motivation to show up to the interview. Can you believe they are also telling them 18 month upgrades? They are having trouble attracting as it is, imagine if potential new-hires knew they will NEVER have a base with cathay.

The question is, how long before they wind everyone currently on base back in. I think they will find themselves quite surprised at how few take them up on the invite. The success rate on achieving this uptake is what will determine if a deal is struck with commutable HKG rosters like Korean Airlines.

If I were a based guy I would start pooling resources, like getting everyone's name on one letter titled: "HKG based can-not". If it becomes substantial enough in size you might strike a deal.

Otherwise, I suggest you start preparing by sealing off 3/4 of your house and restrict yourself to the 800sqf that remains so that moving back to the matrix is not as big a shock. Then leave your car running in the garage, open the door, and breathe in through the nose. This should start preparing your lungs for the HKG "haze" / "mist".