PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for an up and comer
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 09:57
i-must-fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for an up and comer

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this but anyways here goes.

I'm in year 10 at the moment and i know it's crucial that I do "Mathematics" (NSW) or 2 unit or whatever it's called in the other states to be a pilot. Problem is, the course goes on from what the 5.3 class (top class) has been doing for the past few year's and so will obviously include things i've never seen before.

So I have to pick my Year 11 subjects now and i'm kind of in a rut.
Here's the thing.
I either-
a. Do the Mathematics class and be struggling day and night trying to keep up with the workload all while not having enough time to study the other subjects i.e. notably physics (another pre-requisate for a pilot), possibly failing the course and not have enough units for an atar.
b. Do general maths for year 11 and 12, have enough time to do well in all the other subjects and get a decent atar (to fall back on). Then after this, do Mathematics at TAFE or a bridging course.
c. Suck it up, go all out, do mathematics in year 11 and year 12 and hope things stay together.

My questions are-
Will the airlines take me seriously if I choose to do the higher maths at a later stage, or do they only pick the absolute cream of the crop like the air-force?

If I do General Maths in year 11 and 12, will I be out of my depths in Physics considering it includes many skills learnt during Mathematics, or can I just learn these while I go along?

p.s. Being a pilot isn't something i've just dreamt up of overnight. I've known this is what I want to do since about 8 years old and I'm absolutely kicking my self now for not doing something about my Maths earlier on. One thing's for sure though, I'm not short of determination.