PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC Coverage of Remembrance in Whitehall?
Old 14th Nov 2011, 09:35
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotbill
"In a live programme your notes can only be guidance. Try leafing through a sheaf of notes when something unexpected comes up.
I had tried to make the point that many shots require spontaneous comment. So it is not just a question of reading a script - which many a news broadcaster has fouled up."

Well, that is what sorts the amateurs from the professionals. As I said before, PPPP = PPP so if a presenter hasn't done the work beforehand, of course he is going to stuff it up. A professional should take it in his stride with maybe a small pause. If you don't know what you are talking about, then someone else should be doing it.

What's the difference between "something unexpected comes up" for a presenter and "something unexpected comes up" during the teaching of a lesson, be it theory, weapons, drill, navigation, tactics or whatever, it's not part of the script (lesson plan) but you have to think on your feet and carry on.
(I would guess that a fair few on here would have instructed in some sort of military subject during their career since a fair few have said they were instructors and I would say that not all have gone to plan).

Valid point re Whittaker not being BBC, although that wasn't much better as per some of the reviews afterwards.