PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 02:14
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
OK, that's cool - and that was all I was asking for. I'm puzzled as to why other posters regard it as though it's like pulling teeth and expect me to jump through hoops for them before I get a reasonable answer. Let's have a look!
You are talking about pooling teeth?

I have asked you a clarification on your mentioning of the Airbus design problem with the pitot tubes, and you have not provided that yet. That's not even a new question like you've asked.

You get back exactly what you do, not answering the questions in your queue in a timely fashion......

But actually, I am on this, with my Smoke Detector ON so....

So first of all, looking at these in a cursory manner, these are not "logical errors" in terms of software engineering - the term has a very specific meaning which is whereby programming instructions that are syntactically correct nevertheless produce erroneous return data.

What you're describing here is a situation where a system operating in the field has produced results that highlight potential issues going right back to the specification (or indeed a set of circumstances that the original specification did not or could not take into account) - which is what us nerds refer to as a "change request".

Now I've got that rather dull bit of nitpicking out of the way, let's dig in.
The above maybe confusing, perhaps because of the travail to explain.

Here is an explanation in other words, as a secondary source:
The "logic" behind a program is the "algorithm".
An "error in the logic" of a program is an "algorithm error".
A "software error" or "software bug", is one where the logic followed by the software is correct, but an incorrect outcome or result occurs, in spite of the correct following of the logic, or algorithm.

In high level programming languages a bug is usually caused by incorrect programming of data fields, which pass somehow through the compiler's checks, and which result in handling data which are different than what they're supposed to be. In machine language, which is often used in real-time programming, it may be a slightly wrong programming instruction which is equivalent to the previous mentioned error - for instance the use by mistake of a "load word" instead of "load byte", or "store byte" instead of a "store word", and others...

A "software syntax error" is a typo in a program instruction or program line, which is detected by the compiler - or some smart text editors - and need be fixed, before the compiler would complete successfully its processing.of the program source code. "Syntax errors' are never present in production/running software, as the process of generating the software excludes them.

According to the documenting of the algorithms by Airbus docs, the problems can be identified as being in the algorithms. Therefore, at this stage it seems that the solution of the problem is at algorithm level, not at software level.

Last edited by airtren; 14th Nov 2011 at 14:49.