PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2011, 23:06
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
So how many "algorithm bugs" (aka logical errors) do you see manifesting in this accident? Because I still don't see any.
For the record, and despite I doubt it would have changed the outcome in the light of the crew actions, I see two of them:
1/ the non-inhibition of the nose-up autotrim when stall warning is active
2/ the inhibition of the stall warning under 60kt IAS (even if I understand the logic behind the inhibition, I still think it may be worth reworking that bit of logic)

And perhaps a 3rd and 4th, but as I don't know the logic behind I'm not qualified to fully comment:
3/ the V/S switching source from air data to inertial (and back); it occured in AF447 and its consequence was a non-readable/unreliable/unrealistic displayed (air data sourced) V/S, while at the same time a reliable/realistic V/S value (aka inertial sourced V/S) was available (for the system).
4/ the non-inhibition of the F/Ds (by the system) when an UAS situation is detected: why? A/P & A/THR may (and have) been dropped, why not the F/Ds as they may give unreliable directions in such a situation?

Nonetheless, I still fully agree with Clandestino here (my bold):
Originally Posted by Clandestino
No. I'm just suggesting that technical analysis clearly shows that most of the AF447 puzzle solution is in HF domain.
-----------

Originally Posted by jcjeant
For the Airbus when pitot tubes clogged you loss airspeed indication (visual) and also a important data needed for the automation system .. and that is the most important point (design of the automation system)
Yes I agree. And because of data missing, when tubes get clogged you have reversions in various systems.
But what do you make of that statement? Are you advocating that, because "automation" (which part(s) ? flight controls? A/P? A/THR? all of those? more?) uses air data, and air data is not 100% reliable, the industry should renounce "automation"??
I'm sure I must have misunderstood your point. Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

-----------

Now, on a more general topic, is it possible going back to the ball, i.e. leaving the players alone?

Last edited by AlphaZuluRomeo; 13th Nov 2011 at 23:17.