PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most memorable passenger, or passengers you've carried..
Old 13th Nov 2011, 22:43
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I join the Celeb pax club ... but where to start. About 1973 I picked up the delightful young lady, Maggy Philbin who I thought has just been decorating, but the boiler suit was fashion I later discovered, and a little later the infamous Nastasi who played quite well at Wimbledon I'm told ... my business taught Mark Thatcher to fly in early 1980s and he was great company once airborne. Visiting his home near Eastbourne, I collected Sir Hartley Shawcross, he of Nuremburg fame of course, a real nicety was the ex of George Best, and a Miss World (Mary Stavin) who fell asleep on my shoulder as we transitted ex-Beauleigh to Battersea, and of course his Lordship himself. In the actress department there was the gorgeous French lady, Juliette Binoche, then Marion 'd'Arbo of 007 fame when I flew her to a superb bash at St George's Hill, near Weybridge. Quite a few race drivers, Barry Sheene, God bless him, when we taught him to fly an Enstrom ... ditto the rally drivers, Ari Vatenan, Tony Pond and the great Aussie F1 driver, Alan Jones who won the US 1986 Grand Prix which was held in the car park of Ceasars Palace! The wonderfull race car designer Colin Chapman who bought an Enstrom from us. Hard to believe that in the late 1970s, I flew HRH Charles who was judging at the UK heli championships at Epsom Racecourse, and while on the royalty bit, I picked up Captain Mark Phillips from his home in Gloucester and flew him to a Hickstead meeting. I gave out a good earful when the 'something of the night' Michael Howard was giving a talk up at Manchester ... with a captive audience almost two hours telling him why we small businessmen were having a hard time due to his politics. Like the others there's too many names to list all, but I remember the chrooner Val Doonican at Booker, Brian Rix who sponsored the disadvantaged kids in 'Sky High and Peter Sissons the political commentator and news presenter. I was once tasked to pick up the classy Peter Stringfellow and fly him to the Isle of Wight for a very special party. When Dennis Thatcher was a director of the motor firm (1983), I flew him to a business meeting. Quite recently the really nice Peter Andre who didn't want to go above 500 feet and of course his effervescent wife (then) the voluptuous Katie Price, who certainly had the right touch to make a sound rotary pilot. Out of a 1978 Farnborough display, I was asked by Robin Blake to fly to Highclere to meet a certain Andrew Lloyd-Webber who I initially thought was a racing driver, but later in the evening, I was so privileged to walk down to the church in his own grounds where he played the church organ with just me as an audience. Flattered I was. Flying Barry Sheene back from a Silverstone truck racing event, he spotted the mansion a mile north east of Henley .. "That's George Harrison's place Den, let's land there." So it was I met the great Beatle. The kitchen of Friary Park had the signature on the walls of just about any celeb or 'name' you could think of. In his multi million pound recording studio, GH played us his forthcoming release entitled "Somewhere in England" but I've never seen it actually released. Many years later when Lord March asked me to display at Goodwood House for the Barry Sheene commorative dinner, I met Harrison's son Dani, who was about five when we first met at Henley, now a handsome six footer. In the music department, there was Cosy Powell of White Snake who played his 1812piece on drums at the 'Monsters of Rock' concert at Castledon. The B206 was rigged up to flash lights from 500 feet and in time to his drum beat. Elaine Page at a party for the opening of Evita and Mike Read where we flew in to a 'Roundabout' broadcast. Tony Blackburn asked us to fly him to Cirencester for a Christmas business party he was hosting. On one glorious occasion, I was asked to fly in to Selsdon park Hotel with Sam Torrance for a pro/amateur round of golf. Sam shot 68 ... I shot a miserable 99 but he did sign my cap and score card. I mustn't foget the rascally Arthur Scargill who I punted around several mines prior to a big strike. (there's even a couple of mines in Kent! - one was called Betteshangar or something like that) Around the mid 1990s I collected Lester Piggott and Frankie Dettori ex Goodwood circa 18.00 and flew them to the Windsor course where Piggott raced in the 19.00 evening race. That got the punters thinking! I think I need to sign off myself now although there's surely as many more names to come as the ones mentioned and all I can say is in almost every case I enjoyed every minute flying with the great and mostly good. So to the wannabee rotary career pilots ... if you like 'names' the air taxi pilot job takes some beating. Bye for now and safe flying to all. Dennis Kenyon.