PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 13th Nov 2011, 21:55
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever this topic comes up I always think about my first goes flying, takeoff, landing, navigation, all under the watchful eye of an instructor, and how long before they took over your hashed first attempts to try a manoeuvre all by yourself ?

That feeling of relief as an experienced hand sorted out your mistake and let you try it again. The feeling of safety when you descend on final and something unexpected happens "I have control"

Yeah, now imagine doing all that by yourself. With something 5x faster and 50x heavier, and no going back. You have no chance. With automatics, help on the ground and properly tuned radios, possibly. Hand flying it for the first time? No chance.
Well strictly speaking that is by far not the case with everyone (at least with regards to SEP) going by my personal experience at least. There's natural pilots and guys that are more mechanical. Both types might make an equally good pilot at the end but how they reach that same level of control and ability can be quite different.

So in the case of the PPL landing an airliner we would have to have a candidate who is a rather quick learner and a natural.

If the guy in the vid that I posted is really just a SEP IR pilot then he did a rather good job at landing that 190!