PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Red Arrows mishap? (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2011, 20:01
Dawdler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am as angry about the DM's action in this case as anyone else on the forum, unlike most other 'pruners my background is as a member of the press.
As a former(?) member of the press you will also be aware of the tactics used by some of your colleagues.

A friend of mine was unfortuante enough to have his daughter murdered during the Hungerford massacre (as it was called at the time). She was one of many victims of the crime. The press would simply not take "NO!" for an answer. Days and weeks after the event, some one would telephone, or call round to his house, trying to get my friend to talk to the press about his daughter, her life, his reactions to the event etc. They simply could not seem to understand that they did not want to talk to the press at all. At the anniversary of two, three six months, they turned up on his doorstep in an attempt to get an interview. This was followed by annual calls up to the point where the fifth anniversary was reached.

The press would simply let him and his wife alone. So the temtptation to steal a march on their competitors drives their willingness to intrude where they are clearly not wanted. As it happened, my friend had absolutely no idea that his daughter was in that town on that day, so if her name had been printed before he knew, I can only guess at the upset it would have caused.

In the case of Red 5 thousands of people know the names of not the individuals concerned with the team, so there might be some justification for early publication of the name of the deceased, but not before the family have been told.