PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 ditched off Guernsey
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2011, 17:00
simonrennie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this poor chap has lost his life, which sadly is looking like the case he has not died in vein if a few of us learn, discuss and remember from the incident. Yes scary if you read those survival times for the first time but it is survivable and I have in my head from somewhere 90% chance of surviving the chrash into water and 90% chance of then dying of hyperthermia, which is why a life jacket in April, a T shirt and shorts and sandels is somewhat unwise when the water is probably at its coldest. A single door is the least of your problems but you need to be comfortable and happy in what you fly but areoplanes don't know when they are over water or when its dark and currency and an aircraft in good nick is key, cut corners and one day, someone, pays. I carry black bin bags, rope and spare gloves in my grab bag even without the dingy you lose the use of your fingers quickly, tie people together and the bags trap water around your body. If that keeps you alive another 5 minutes and the heicopter is 4 minutes away I will go with that. It might not work if I even need it but its no good being there wishing I had some of the cheap easy bits from home, you can only think about it and have some planning as opossed to none. Busiest shipping channel in the world?.... but you are still a needle in a haystack.